Sunday, September 22, 2013

Volunteering Why's

I have done a lot of volunteering.  It's been something like 800 hours over the last 2 years or so.  As for the why, I'm still trying to nail that down.  Some things that I've come up with are:
  1. Lots of new and interesting experiences
    1. Got to hang out back stage at music concerts and load up and ship out bands
    2. Hung out on the roof on main street
    3. Creepy Basement
    4. Check out hidden places at events that most don't get to see.  
  2. Helps me become a better leader and communicator 
  3. Free T-Shirts, Food, booze, beverages, and candy (cool perk but not a requirement)
    1. So many T-shirts
  4. Meet lots of cool folks
  5. Led me into other interesting stuff
    1. Started taking classes at The Improv Shop
    2. Got into other volunteer opportunities
  6. Can honestly say I've worked at a circus, radio station, festivals, at a bar, selling merch, and giving away loads of free stuff.
There's a saying in improv that you need to "Get out of your head" and "Yes, and..  In a weird sense those are the ideas that I'm looking for.  It's an Art meets life and life meets art thing that seems like I've been living over the last few years with all this volunteering.  For the most part I improvise at these events.  I keep an ear to the ground and do what needs to be done.  Improv class is starting to show me the way to do this but also show me how to be funny too in an honest sort of way.  I do highly recommend taking up improv class for reasons I won't describe in this post.  If there is any interest I will describe it in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment