Monday, November 5, 2012

Curiosities: Wobbly Tables

Sometimes curiosities happen when you least expect them to.  I've moved a lot of tables in volunteering and a curiosity that I stumbled upon was the possibility of an easier solution to wobbly tables.  Turns out that there is an easy way to take care of the issue of wobbly tables.  Mind you I have not tried it yet but I do intend to with the intent of reporting back the results here.  The solution turns out to be pretty simple.

The solution assumes that the legs are of the same lengths or are in the same plane.  If they are not then the problem is that you have a wobbly table.  According to my second souce, tiled floors may also cause problems.  The solution should work for any uneven surface even your back yard.  The solution turns out to be to turn the table around it's center.  If you can keep the table roughly centered, the table can be rotated and a stable (non-wobbly) position can be found.  Pretty simple, pretty elegant.

Like I said above, I haven't verified it yet but my second source seems pretty good at assuring that it does work.  Assuming that the legs are of equal length (on the same geometric plane) and not on tiled floors.

Source 1: Scientific American
Source 2: Original Paper: Mathematical Table Turning from November 14, 2005.


No comments:

Post a Comment