Thursday, May 5, 2011

Toastmasters 5 down, 5 to go for CC.

Not like the dropped buttered bread that lands butter side up kind of thing but the international organization that facilitates better communication and leadership.

Just wrapped up giving my 5th speech out of the Competent Communicator book for the local O'Fallon, Il Toastmasters club.  It’s the “Your Body Speaks” speech, where body language is emphasized.  The topic was about the F.I.R.S.T robotics organization, the championships that they held this past weekend (April 27-30), the various competition levels involved, and how I volunteered at the event on Saturday.  Did get the best speech award but it’s just not as significant if you’re the only speaker.  That’s the way it goes sometimes.  As Toastmasters, you will learn to adapt in those situations.

For the most part, I just need to stop swaying.  If I can get past that I think I could potentially be a great speaker.  Any tips or video equipment would be helpful, probably.  I do get kinda nervous but I do feel kinda comfortable.  Mostly depends on what I am presenting.  The swaying could just be an internal level of nervousness but could somehow also be subconscious.

Just pondering my next speech.  Number 6 Vocal Variety.  Don’t really have any initial idea.  I have been reading though http://sixminutes.dlugan.com/ for inspiration and perspiration. Some good ideas their for inspiration and a place for advice from people that have already done it but are in the same ball park.

Toastmasters is a neat organization for anyone wanting to improve verbal communication and/or leadership skills.

1 comment:

  1. Dang!!! Can't believe I do 5 in 6 months or so and a year later I'm sitting at 9 with 1 till CC. Pick up the pace dude.

    18 weeks off for school....what are ya going to do.

    ReplyDelete